Policy & Finance | 12 December 2018 at 7:00pm

Stanway Parish Council David Lines, Parish Clerk Victory Hall, Villa Road, Stanway, Essex CO3 0HR P: 01206 542221 E: clerk@stanwaypc.org.uk

Dear Councillors,

You are hereby summoned to the forthcoming Policy & Finance Committee Meeting of Stanway Parish Council to be held at the Committee Room on WEDNESDAY 12th DECEMBER 2018 at 7pm for the purposes of transacting the business shown on the Agenda

Kind regards

Clerk & RFO to the Parish Council 6th December 2018

AGENDA

324. Chairman welcome

325. Apologies for absence

326. Declarations of Interest

Councillors to declare a Disclosable Pecuniary, Other Pecuniary or Registerable Non-Pecuniary interest

on any matters covered by this Agenda. Members are reminded that, when considering any item, if it

becomes clear they have an interest, they must declare it.

327. Public Participation

The Chairman to invite members of the public to indicate if they wish to speak at this meeting – either

on an item on the Agenda or on a general matter not on this Agenda. You should indicate your wish to

speak, to the Clerk, prior to the start of the meeting. A maximum of 5 minutes in total will be allowed

328 Minutes of the Policy & Finance Committee meeting of 14th November 2018

To approve the Minutes of the Meeting which was held on 14.11.18 (previously circulated)

329. Clerk Report

  1. a) To RECEIVE an update on any ongoing action items from previous meetings, per the circulated list
  2. b) To EVALUATE the advantages of purchasing a new laptop for use by the Clerk, per the attached report
  3. c) To CONSIDER installation of a telephone call-forwarding system for the Council’s registered land line
  4. d) To CONSIDER a response to Essex CC Highways’ invitation to participate in a pilot Devolution scheme
  5. e) To RECEIVE a legal opinion from Barclays Bank about ‘KYC information required from the Council

330. Finance

  1. a. To RECEIVE a Budget report & Bank Reconciliation
  2. b. To APPROVE intermediate expenditure and sign cheques (circulated to Councillors at the meeting)
  3. c. To CONSIDER the second draft of the Budget/Precept for FY 2019/2020

331. Village Hall

  1. a) Playing Field and Car Park update – Cllr T. Baines

332. Referrals from Full Council and other committees – to discuss matters referred to the Committee.

  1. a) To EVALUATE the resurrection of the dormant Neighbourhood Plan, potentially under a Working Group supported by the Parish Council
  2. b) To REVIEW the Council’s draft letter to Stanway Village Hall Management Committee on a proposal for SVHMC to manage the playing field bookings, subject to provisos.
  3. c) To CONSIDER setting up a Working Group to investigate options to keep Stanway Library open

333. Local Highways Panel – To consider any matters arising from the Local Highways Panel.

334. Information Update – To receive oral updates from Members on matters affecting the Parish.

335 To Confirm the Date and Time of the Next Meeting. Wednesday 9th. January 2019 at 7pm

Minutes of the Policy and Finance Committee held on Wednesday 12th December 2018 Present: Cllrs J Spademan (Chairman), Manning, Tate, Baines, Thompson, Chambers, Dundas and Hagon

324. Chairman welcome – the Chairman welcomed all attending the meeting
325. Apologies for absence – NONE
326. Declarations of Interest Councillors to declare a Disclosable Pecuniary, Other Pecuniary or Registerable Non-Pecuniary interest on any matters covered by this Agenda. Members are reminded that, when considering any item, if it becomes clear they have an interest, they must declare it – NONE
327. Public Participation The Chairman to invite members of the public to indicate if they wish to speak at this meeting – either on an item on the Agenda or on a general matter not on this Agenda. You should indicate your wish to speak, to the Clerk, prior to the start of the meeting. A maximum of 5 minutes in total will be allowed No members of the public were present
328 Minutes of the Policy & Finance Committee meeting of 14th November 2018 To approve the Minutes of the Meeting which was held on 14.11.18 (previously circulated) RESOLVED – to approve the minutes of the Policy and Finance Committee held on November 14th 2018 and that they be signed as a true record by the Chairman
329. Clerk’s Report a) To RECEIVE an update on any ongoing action items from previous meetings, per the circulated list The Clerk provided a list of matters that may or may not be unresolved from meetings since the beginning of the civic year, on a ‘traffic signal’ basis of “not commenced/in process/completed”. The report was deferred until the next meeting in light of the busy agenda and to give an opportunity for members to study it in more detail. b) To EVALUATE the advantages of purchasing a new laptop for use by the Clerk, per the attached report RESOLVED – to approve the purchase of a new laptop c) To CONSIDER installation of a telephone call-forwarding system for the Council’s registered land line It was AGREED to accept the principle of installing a call-forwarding system, but to defer the choice of system/supplier until the January meeting to evaluate suggested alternatives to the initial proposal. d) To CONSIDER a response to Essex CC Highways’ invitation to participate in a pilot Devolution scheme RESOLVED – that the Committee was minded not to participate in the pilot, but remain as an interested observer until more information came to light e) To RECEIVE a legal opinion from Barclays Bank about ‘KYC information required from the Council RESOLVED – the Clerk was instructed to write to EALC, seeking their advice and suggesting that they contact the Financial Conduct Agency for an authoritative view.
330. Finance a. To RECEIVE a Budget report & Bank Reconciliation – None received because of technical issues

Stanway Parish Council
Draft until signed…………………………………………………..Chair Date……/……/20…….. This page…… of………..

330 (continued)
b. To APPROVE intermediate expenditure and sign cheques (circulated to Councillors at the meeting) RESOLVED – to approve the payments as listed and sign cheques accordingly c. To CONSIDER the second draft of the Budget/Precept for FY 2019/2020 After further evaluation and the inclusion of an estimate of the 2019/2020, the draft budget provided a more accurate forecast of next year’s requirements. An analysis of the financial reserves of the Parish Council and the likely availability of S106 funds via Colchester Borough Council was required to inform the final budget review in January, before presentation to the full Council meeting on January 31st 2019.

331. Village Hall Playing Field and Car Park update – Cllr T. Baines reported that the new car park bollards were now in good order. The principle of installing a defibrillator was likely to be agreed, with the VHMC to pay for the electricity supply, but the position of the equipment was yet to be resolved. A document to record the variations of the original lease between the Council and SVHMC was required. It was RESOLVED to accept a proposal that the remaining grant funding for the refurbishment of the Village Hall would be spent on solar panels, subject to evaluation of costs. Cllr Baines abstained from voting on this item.
332. Referrals from Full Council and other committees – to discuss matters referred to the Committee. a) To EVALUATE the resurrection of the dormant Neighbourhood Plan, potentially under a Working Group supported by the Parish Council. After discussion, it was AGREED that, prior to initiating a working group, Cllr Dundas would seek advice (including from CBC Planning Officers) on the value of creating a Neighbourhood Plan at this stage, to establish whether it would have any statutory impact on Colchester Borough Council’s Local Plan decision-making. b) To REVIEW the Council’s draft letter to Stanway Village Hall Management Committee on a proposal for SVHMC to manage the playing field bookings, subject to provisos. The letter was REVIEWED and agreed, subject to the clear delineation of responsibilities as agreed by both parties. c) To CONSIDER setting up a Working Group to investigate options to keep Stanway Library open RESOLVED – to set up a Working Group reporting the P&F Committee, initially to explore the feasibility of and options for keeping the local library open,
333. Local Highways Panel – To consider any matters arising from the Local Highways Panel. The three worst potholes in the Parish had been identified and were to be sent to ECC Highways
334. Information Update – To receive oral updates from Members on matters affecting the Parish. A condition report of the large oak tree in The Folly was provided, highlighting potential risks and with an estimated remedial cost of £650. Cllr Dundas agreed to find out if this expense was permitted as part of his CBC Locality Budget, having about £400 remining in the pot. It was RESOLVED that the approval of the balance would be delegated to the Clerk, being financed by the Parish Council as a matter of urgency (FSO 4.5). Cllr Manning registered his concern about the specific legal requirements relating to such works, and required reassurance that the chosen contractor will fulfil these statutory duties in liaison with the relevant ECC officials
335 Confirmed – the date and time of the next Meeting is Wednesday 9th. January 2019 at 7pm

The Chairman thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting at 8.59 pm